Friday, April 2, 2010

Don't suppress your feelings

Someone to give me pleasure: that’s what I’m looking for.

Despite having arrived at the conclusion that I am not a bitch, a bigot or a whore but a fool, I am sure that not only is it possible for me to find someone to give me pleasure but it is desirable for me and further that I am worth being able to receive pleasure.

I hope that you all are happy about this.

Next.

My travails with the mental health system.

Now, it is very easy to blame doctors and therapists for their insensitivity and cruelty and blatant attempts to force conformity on people. Even in retrospect I must say that particularly the latter act have mental health professionals perpetrated on me. But sometimes there is an awareness that one can be so difficult with oneself in a way that leads not to a better world or a better person but only to self-destruction. In other words, there are people who are compassionate and intelligent as much as if not more than their patients in these occupations.

I know there is a limit on how compassionate such people can be, however, since it is becoming obvious to me that I am at least potentially one of them and I have limits to my compassion. I believe that if I follow the road of listening to myself that I will find an answer to this quandary. I am able to be hopeful; I am able to be kind; I am able to be a good person.

Think about what psychiatry does: It brings people into a segregated setting with no ability to fend for themselves other than through obedience to the people in charge. It treats individuals’ problems through a combination of finding fault with individual responses to social situations (the hospital situation as well as the larger world) and mood-altering drugs. It makes people aware of their powerlessness and makes them treat themselves with hatred.

Now that contradicts much of what I said above. How can both set of facts be true? On the one hand a setting in which people in need of help find help and on the other one in which powerless people are forced to consent to their powerlessness.

The answer as far as I can tell is that life is a way to be nice to yourself.

The mental health providers may be afraid to ask themselves how to be people and the consumers may feel no place to give their freedom to a world running away from it.

Lastly, feelings give love to everyone.

Don’t suppress your feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go Ahead: Comment.