Saturday, October 9, 2010

Today is John Lennon's birthday

To me, John Lennon would not likely be just another rich old bitter musician living out his days on top of piles of wealth doing nothing but thirst for more. I believe his legacy would only have increased, that his devotion to peace would still drive his art, and that he would be a force to reckon with in politics and culture.

Moving on to me:

I see on Facebook that SRLP has gained friends that I didn't expect them to gain. Now I have no problem with a law project named after Sylvia in theory, but I don't think that they express either in their politics or in their actions the spirit that animated Sylvia.

Firstly, Sylvia did not have an economic or racial theory of transphobia. She was a "people's revolutionist," but she never said transphobia would simply disappear if only there were economic and social equality otherwise. She once specifically told me that it was not that we had to fear some of our neighbors at Transie House wanting to oust or kill us, but that we had to fear all of them.

Secondly, I've tried to live out the implicit theory of SRLP that oppressions pile on top of each other, that some of the oppressed are worse off or deserve more help than others. As far as I've learned, once someone's own particular oppression(s) are relieved then they are likely to turn around and do the very same thing (oppress) someone else. There is also the implicit course of action that the only way one can be equal to multiply oppressed people is to take on as many of your own oppressions as possible and live in complete solidarity with all other oppressed people with respect to each and every oppression they have. This leads only to complete isolation, and physical danger for anyone who tries to practice this. I ended up homeless on the street, WITH NO OTHER HOMELESS, TRANSGENDERED OR POLITICAL PEOPLE THERE TO PROTECT ME. The only people who would help me were ONE of my crackhead friends and my mother. So I've had a respite from the exigencies of survival. But this will not last forever, either.

Lastly, Sylvia was a dynamic individual, not one who smothered her caring for others or her political strength under the needs of the collective. She certainly joined (or formed) groups but she didn't hold back within these groups. I'm not sure she would have found the political culture of SRLP that friendly.

I don't wish to single out SRLP as an unredeemable enemy. They probably do a lot of good work. However, like many other groups or agencies which are attempting to memorialize Sylvia and other transgendered women, they are missing the boat when it comes to what drives us to do what we do and therefore what protects us. Because the ultimate lesson is that the only people who are going to protect us are us ourselves, like Sylvia picking up garbage cans to hurl at her attackers.

Why would you want me to think about myself when you know I'm a crackhead?

If anyone wishes to correct me, you know how to reach me.

Yours, me.

1 comment:

  1. I did witness Sylvia being very disciplined at events such as the Mumia Abu Jamal march in Philadelphia in April of 1999 and the Workers World Conference in New York the next year or two. Also working with ALP. She really only tended to go off when someone expressed something anti-trans.

    ReplyDelete

Go Ahead: Comment.