Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Caesura

I love that word! It means in poetry a gap or division within the line. This introduces the possibility of symmetry and/or asymmetry within as well as across the line. An example? Well, the only examples I know of come from Beowulf, but I'll try to "demonstrate":

I know why You know how
People lie Like a cow.

Theres supposed to be a space between each half of each line but it won't show on the published version. Just imagine an extra space before You and Like.

The caesuras emphasize both repetition and variety within each line by providing an internal pause. At least that's the idea as far as I can remember.

Perhaps (caesura) I have reached a pause in my life and in this blog. I feel that I am between two periods of change. I can catch my breath and plan for the future calmly without being caught in anxiety and conflictedness.

I am happy to like myself today.

Stanford threw me away yesterday. I guess I needed them more than they needed me. My mother says that's the way it always is.

I think this is one reason for my relative calm.

I hope today is for you as beautiful as you wish or even more so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go Ahead: Comment.